Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A fresh start, a new reason

Folks, it's been a good year since I started this blog and, as you can see, not much has been done with it. I guess the inherent problems with having a blog are: a) finding time to write one, b) find something worth writing about, other than what you had for lunch or bitching about the government, and c) having content of interest to REAL people.

It was these problems I faced when starting the blog. I couldn't work out what I wanted it to achieve: I didn't know what I liked to talk about. It's like it's a week before your birthday and you're excited thinking of all the things you want people to buy you, but when someone asks you what you want, you draw a blank in your brain and, reluctantly, say "Oh, nothing".

But I have since had a revelation. I am sick and tired of seeing rubbish being passed off as good journalism and sports writing. I lay awake at night wondering why 'journalist A' has written something about Ricky Ponting or Steven Gerrard that has made me feel like I have Bali Belly, causing me to lose sleep and hate them for the rest of the week. WHY?

So behold, my opus. Take the ride, Bubba... will be a point for people to experience my pain with me, to promote good journalism and even better sports reporting. That is my goal. Journalism itself is changing as social media and new technology make posting stories, etc, within reach of the common man (often with disastrous, and poorly spelt, results) but more on this on a later posting.

For now, enjoy the postings of someone dedicated to seeing good journalists praised and shit-spinners cursed. Great sports reported on and irritating 'human interest' stories wiped out.

Much love,

O

No comments:

Post a Comment